About The Project
To revitalize Olay brand targeting late Gen Z and post-millennial females aged 18-35 y.o. Based on research and insights, this project aims to simulate a real-world scenario by using design thinking methodology to identify the consumer needs and pain points while fulfilling the executive intent. In this project, I’ve created a prototype Olay eCommerce website and also have suggested how to increase leads from new channels.
In every design process, I focus on the target users’ mental model so that it’s easy for the users to navigate on every screen. The gist of UX design is to build an easy, efficient, relevant and pleasing experience for the user. I use User-Centred Design (UCD), an iterative design process, which mainly focuses on the user’s behaviour, needs, and pain points in each phase of the design process.
• Revitalize Brand
• Targeting late Gen Z and post-millennial females aged 18-35 y.o
• Revenue Growth
• Online Conversions
• New Conversion channels
INSIGHTS TO USERS' MENTAL MODEL
To have more insights into the users’ mental model, I conducted interviews with 3 users from each group. They are women in different life stages.
1) 18-22 y/o - College/university/fresh school leavers
2) 22-28 y/o - Young working adults
3) 28-35 y/o - Professional independent singles and young mothers
To get qualitative data of their needs and pain points when choosing a skincare product and their impression of the Olay brand. I drafted interview scripts and conducted interviews with the users and here are the consolidated findings:
During the Define stage, I put together the information I have created and gathered during the research stage. This is where I analyze my observations and synthesize them in order to define the core problems that I have identified up to this point.
IDENTIFYING THE PROBLEMS
• Young people unable to relate to Olay brand
• Improve in branding & marketing awareness
• No physical store presence
• No Online presence hence no data to collect on Olay’s consumers' behaviour and shopping journey for Olay to do all types of product analysis moving forward
CREATING USERS' PERSONA
After conducting the User interviews, I gathered all the data and developed 3 User Personas below. In which I have captured all about the users’ life stages, goals, frustrations and demographics.
Age 18-22 y/o category: Needs & Frustrations
Age 22-28 y/o category: Needs & Frustrations
Age 28-35 y/o category: Needs & Frustrations
During this ideate stage of the Design Thinking process, I started to generate possible ideas and solutions to the problems.
Media, Marketing & Digital Space
PART 1: SOLUTION
• Priming & framing: to target the younger generation
• Create Olay e-commerce website and mobile app: to collect more data on Olay’s consumer's behaviour and
• Build a new AI feature Analyse MySkin: for the mobile app. This new feature is only available on the Olay mobile app, this is to encourage users to download the app to their mobile in order for them to take the skin test
• Create scarcity: give exclusive benefits for different tier members
• Engage beauty influencers for the social media platforms
• Standalone Olay stores in neighbourhood malls
• Booth counters in selective departmental stores
• Vending machine
PART 2: SOLUTION
Olay Product Placement In Singapore
IA is a blueprint of the design structure which can be generated into wireframes and sitemaps of the project. Information architecture (IA) focuses on organizing, structuring, and labelling content effectively and sustainably. The goal is to help users find the information they need and to complete tasks.
USER TASK FLOW
WIREFRAME: LOW FIDELITY
MARKETING SLANTS & SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM
As for the marketing campaign, Olay can slant towards a more trendy yet sophisticated outlook. Perhaps creating a separate range of products targeting the (18-35 y/o) females will help to change the perception of the younger crowd. The overall outlook of the official website should still look sophisticated so that Olay will not lose the existing loyal “mature” consumers.
WHAT I HAVE LEARNT
This is my first UX/UI project using XD to do the prototype. I use an iterative design approach for this project to deliver a great user experience. This project allows me to cover the entire user-centred Design lifecycle - from strategic positioning and research to designing the interaction for products and services. The other takeaway for me is learning how to apply PET tools appropriately. When people trust the information and choices presented, they are less likely to feel a need to go elsewhere. A good way to retain the users and convert them to become our loyal users.
WHAT I HAVE LEARNT
This is the third UX/UI project done for my SGUnited UX/UI Bootcamp, using Figma to do the prototype. This project also covers the marketing and rebranding research on how to reach out to Olay’s new targeted users.
I’ve incorporated the knowledge gained from this UX/UI Design course & research done online into this project. With much experience in branding, I had fun executing this project and learned a great deal during this journey.
Always ask questions about the big why, no matter how specific the design requirement is.
This project experience has helped me see a more prominent/holistic view of the business standpoint and users’ perspective. In addition, it is allowing me to go deeper into what Design thinking can do and achieve.